Thursday, June 18, 2009

Fishy Champagne

C is great. Really he is. But when it comes to being creative, he simply has no clue. So for holidays or our anniversary, I can always count on an overpriced bouquet of a dozen red roses from the local chain florist in an even more overpriced vase with a red ribbon tied around it. This is not a complaint as I know some girls don’t even get that, I’m simply stating the facts.

So imagine my surprise when last Valentine’s Day this 3 foot tall champagne glass was delivered and in it were a dozen long stemmed red roses. That is our reception area chair so you can get an idea of the size of it.


With a child and two dogs running around the house, I was afraid if I took it home it would get broken and I can’t let that happen to this major milestone. So the only logical choice was to leave it on my credenza at work.

The flowers were artificial and although you had to really get close to tell as they are pretty convincing, it was just there and looked really out of place. It took a couple of days to decide what to do with it, but after a little research I decided to remove the flowers and add this little guy who's not very photogenic.

Okay it's my photography skills but whatever...


I added some rocks, a rock scupture of sorts and a plant. Here it is almost ready for "Bloody". C2 said since he's the color of blood his name should be Bloody.


It holds just under 2 gallons of water. You have to add some drops to remove the chlorine and metals from regular tap water. Some sites suggested using distilled water but I don't.


This type of fish doesn't need a filter, bubbles or a heater. You do have to clean out the "aquarium" more often than a typical tank. This one is large enough, I can go about two weeks between cleanings and it usually takes about 30 minutes to clean. I do let the water stand overnight each time so the temp will be the same as his temporary home when he goes in. And I learned the hard way that you can overfeed these fish. Once he gets settled in he'll start forming a nest out of bubbles on the surface of the water. Supposedly, that means he's happy. I just changed the water out last night so I'll try to update with nest pics tomorrow.

0 comments: